Although it would be great to have Mary Poppins around to help out, these simple tips can go a long way toward getting and staying organized!
- Use an inbox for incoming papers. If necessary, use one that divides into bills, coupons, records, etc. Each day, all the mail and other papers requiring attention should go there until you are able to go through them.
- For papers you need to keep, use a file bin with alphabetized tabbed dividers that identify the various categories of papers you have (medical, financial, etc.). I’ve found it easier to use only left-sided tabs so that adding new file categories is simple.
- Each time you come home, check your car to see that you bring in any trash, papers and other items that need to come inside. That way, your car is always ready for the next trip!
- Designate specific places for items, especially those you need everyday. This will drastically cut down on time spent looking for these things. Where will you put your keys when you get home? Where will items that you need to take with you when you leave the house go? A place for everything and everything in its place!
- Keep things where you use them as much as possible. You’re more likely to accomplish your tasks and to put items away when the process is as convenient as possible.